Which pedometer will be the best?
A small and inconspicuous pedometer is a way to better control everyday activity, to count the distances covered during walks and hikes and to effectively mobilize to action. It's a simple device that turns out to be a very useful gadget, if you reach for a good model. Which pedometer will be the best?
The pedometer counts the steps, but not only. How does it work? What are its functions?
The basic function of a pedometer, as the name suggests, is to count steps, but today's devices have many more possibilities. Based on counting steps, they can estimate the distance, calculate the number of calories burned, and make it easier to keep a log of activity. Some crocometers can also be used as a wristwatch, others are attached to a strap. There are many possibilities, so it is worth to think carefully about this subject and specify the most needed functions before buying a device.
- The most basic and most common functions of the pedometer are: step counter, distance measurement and calorie counter. This set of functions can be found in most devices of this type.
- More advanced functions can be found only in some pedometers: watch, heart rate monitor, timer, beeper.
Which pedometer should I choose? Types of crocometers
The range of pedometers is very diverse, which does not make it easy to choose a particular device. Step meters can be divided into two groups (depending on how they are worn and their function):
- Watch with pedometer - crocometers of this type resemble sports watches and have the function of a watch, but also act as crocometers, and in the most advanced models there may even be options such as atmospheric pressure measurement, compass or mountain altitude measurement. The more complicated and multifunctional the device, the higher its price, and yet not everyone is looking for a pedometer for mountain expeditions. A simple pedometer model with a watch is definitely enough for everyday use.
- Strap walk meters are not as advanced as crocodile walk meters, but they have completely different advantages. They can be worn in a way that makes them almost invisible, so they can be worn not only during training, but even when wearing an elegant outfit. Walk meters of this type are also very cheap - the cheapest models cost a dozen or so zlotys each. They offer fewer features but perform basic tasks: they count steps, estimate distance and calories burned - these are the most important options for pedometers.
Step meters are simple devices with basic functionality. Some people are giving up on them in favour of more advanced smart wristbands or watches, others are using pulsometers, but crocometers are still popular and noteworthy equipment for active people or those who want to be active. The pedometer can be bought for a dozen or so zlotys, which is such a low price that it is definitely worth a try.
What else should I pay attention to before buying a pedometer?
Although the purchase of a pedometer does not seem to be a big expense (especially in the case of choosing one of the simplest models), it is still worth choosing it carefully, based on several key features. Here are some of the things you should pay attention to when you buy:
- Functionality - for a device to actually work in practice, it should offer all the features that the user deems necessary. If you want a pedometer with a watch, let's discard models without a watch, because they won't meet your expectations.
- Brand - it is worth to reach for the products of these brands, whose products enjoy a good reputation.
- Fixing method - you can choose between pedometers for the hand and models for the belt.
- Price - if we immediately determine the available budget for the purchase of a pedometer, we will save a lot of time, because we will not waste it on browsing through offers that do not fall within the accepted price range.
- Quality of workmanship, aesthetics - a good pedometer for use in the field should be resistant to moisture, dust and atmospheric factors, but we should also simply like it.
Due to the fact that the offer of pedometers is so wide and varied, it is worthwhile to consult other users. The ranking of step meters can be helpful, but also reviews and opinions of Internet users and bloggers. It is worth comparing various solutions, looking at specialist shops and rankings, because it will help to choose a really good and reliable model of pedometer.